Thinking about Quitting?
- Make the decision to quit.
- Talk to your healthcare provider and set a quit date.
- Choose a quit plan and locate the support tools you will need.
- Manage withdrawal and contact the Wellness Center for support.
- Stay quit (maintain success).
Dates: Upcoming Spring 2018
- Get rid of all cigarettes in your bag, room, and car.
- Stock up on oral substitutes (sugarless gum, carrot sticks, hard candy).
- Decide on a plan (nicotine patches, smoking cessation programs).
- Think about what worked and what didn’t in your past attempts at quitting.
- Eat several small meals during the day instead of 1 or 2 large ones. Also, eat regularly; don’t mistake hunger for the urge to smoke.
- Avoid sugary or spicy foods that may trigger a desire for cigarettes.
- Find ways to reward yourself! Use the money you’ll save from buying cigarettes on something fun.
- If you miss the feeling of having a cigarette in your hand, hold something else a pencil, a paper clip.
- Avoid temptation by staying away from situations you associate with pleasurable smoking. Remember urges to smoke will pass.
Don’t get discouraged if you relapse! Very few people are able to quit on the first try. It takes most people many attempts before successfully quitting.
Contact the Wellness Center for more information regarding quitting tobacco for good!
Phone number: (480) 644-2573