What is Wellness?
Wellness is an active process of becoming aware of and making choices toward a healthy and fulfilling life.
"...a state of complete physical, mental, and social well-being, and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity." - The World Health Organization.
"a conscious, self-directed and evolving process of achieving full potential." - The National Wellness Institute
Wellness is more than being free from illness, it is a dynamic process of change and growth.
City of Mesa Wellness Mission
City of Mesa Wellness Program aims to improve the quality of life of our employees and families by building a culture of health through education, motivation and engagement of all employees and their families to participate in maintaining a healthy lifestyle.
City of Mesa Wellness follows the Eight Dimensions of Wellness described below.
1. Emotional—Coping effectively with life and creating satisfying relationships
2. Environmental—Good health by occupying pleasant, stimulating environments that support well-being
3. Financial—Satisfaction with current and future financial situations
4. Intellectual—Recognizing creative abilities and finding ways to expand knowledge and skills
5. Occupational—Personal satisfaction and enrichment from one’s work
6. Physical—Recognizing the need for physical activity, healthy foods, and sleep
7. Social—Developing a sense of connection, belonging, and a well-developed support system
8. Spiritual—Expanding a sense of purpose and meaning in life
City of Mesa
In October 2014, the City of Mesa opened the Health & Wellness Center as a place where employees and families can have the opportunity to improve their overall health and wellness. City of Mesa employees and family members on the City of Mesa’s medical plan are able to receive care at the Health & Wellness Center for zero cost.
At the Health & Wellness Center, our Medical Providers, Support Staff and Employee Health & Wellness Manager collaborate to provide a multitude of services to address the health needs of our community and ultimately improve the City’s well-being.
In 2016, the City of Mesa established a 14 member Wellness Committee to play an integral role the development of a worksite wellness program. This committee consists of individuals spanning across 12 departments, including the City Manager's office. The developing worksite wellness program will include a variety of active, educational, and exciting initiatives addressing all dimensions of wellness.